Howdy, howdy, howdy, y’all! It’s that time of the week again- time for another One Room Challenge update. If you haven’t been following along, the One Room Challenge is a basically a challenge to makeover one room in only six weeks. Each week, we share the progress of the room updates and on November 12th we’ll be sharing the full reveal.
This week isn’t much to talk about, sadly. A lot of behind the scenes stuff happened, like product and supplies coming in. I still need to make trips to purchase items from a few stores that aren’t local, like a trip to IKEA for the farmhouse sink.
We got the island trim finished up and ready for paint. I shared this photo on Instagram over the weekend.
We purchased the paint for the cabinets but will have to wait to start on that until the sink is installed because there will be a bit of cabinet reconfiguration happening to be able to accommodate the sink.
This week I will be focusing on the range hood and countertops. Yes, that’s right. We are DIYing them. I’m so excited to share them with you.
I ran into a bit of a snag after I finished the island trim. With the addition of the board and batten the island is a bit wider than before and now the prefabricated butcher block counter I was going to purchase from IKEA is literally the same width. I want that little bit of overhang that counters usually have, so I will either have to make my own or decide if I want to pay for a prefabbed piece from a different store. I’ll definitely keep you posted!
The to do list looks pretty much the same as last week, but things are moving along and I’m satisfied with where we are in the process.
Take down the microwave,replace with a range vent and build a rustic wooden vent hood Extend the cabinets to the ceiling Extend the island to accommodate a new microwave Trim out the island with board and batten or planks/shiplap
- Replace island countertop with butcher block
- Paint the cabinets white and add new hardware
- Add a backsplash (I’ve been flip flopping on ideas for this but I think I’ve finally narrowed it down to a winner)
- Install new countertops
- Install farmhouse sink and new faucet
- Add new lighting over the island and sink (that big round light over the sink is a sky tube, so it will be staying)
- Paint the pantry doors black
- Add task lighting under the upper cabinets
- Replace the recessed lighting trim
- Replace the range with a new stainless steel model to match our other appliances (if I can twist my hubby’s arm)
Check out our weekly progress!